Wednesday 6 January 2016

Lower Expectations

Good morning!

Just a quick note this morning to let you know how "the big reveal" went. On Christmas Eve, we allowed Sophie to open her Disney gift in front of her grandparents. We wanted it to be exciting and special, so we didn't want her to open it while she was in the middle of opening the dozens of other presents that evening. She was tired and a bit overwhelmed by all the excitement of the holiday, but I assumed that her gift would help her snap out of her crummy mood. I had my phone out, ready to take the video. She (rather unenthusiastically) pulled the gifts out one by one. When she got to the letter at the bottom, she opened it, and I read it to her.



Dear Sophie,

Arf! I am so excited to tell you that you are going to disneyland! I hope that you will come and visit me in ToonTown and around the parks. I have really missed you!

Merry Christmas and see you real soon!
                Your friend,

                pluto

No reaction.

Not a smile, no tears, not a squeal. Nothing.

Daddy said to her, "Do you know what this means, Sophie? You're going to Disneyland again!"

Her response? She snarled, "YES DAD! I KNOW!"

Needless to say, I will not be sharing her reaction via video or photographs. Five year olds can be so unpredictable.

Note to self: Don't over-plan the big reveal. I wanted it to happen at that moment, even knowing that Sophie was tired and overstimulated. Next time, I will let her mood guide me.

Now that she has had time to digest the information, she is BEYOND excited. Every morning she excitedly tells me how many days are left until we go. 39 and counting!

                                                                                                                                               xoxo Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment