Saturday 30 January 2016

What's in Her Bag?

As I have mentioned time and time again, I am a planner. A researcher, a reviewer, an organizer, and then a planner. I pore over restaurant reviews, hotel ratings, blogs, and videos before each and every Disney trip. I have to admit, I love it. Plus, it gives me an excuse not to do laundry.

Of all of the blogs, reviews, and tips that I have read, some of the most useful have been packing checklists. I hope that this can be similarly useful to you! I am sure I will forget something and have to amend it later, but here's a start.

**** note - this is how I pack for my daughter. I'm 15 days out so packing for me will wait for another week or so.

The absolute best part of packing for Disney is planning the outfits (of course)! Luckily, my daughter looks adorable in EVERYTHING so she is much easier to outfit plan for than I am. I am significantly less cute than she is. Let's start with her outfits.Clothing:


                                       Here are a couple of her outfits that are ready to go.
  • Firstly, I pack outfits, socks, underthings, and accessories in Ziplock bags. It keeps things together and saves time on busy morning. Check the forecast, pick a bag that suits the weather, and get going! I pack about twice as many bags as we have days in the park. I live by the philosophy that it's better to have too much than not enough!
This gives me piece of mind. Even her Dad can get her ready with this system!

  • Remember to throw an extra outfit in your backpack to have at the park. A spare change of clothes is always handy, and the ziplock bag can be used for any wet/soiled/messy belongings that you may acquire throughout the day.
  • Pack layers. Mornings and evenings can be cool so it's nice to have leggings/pants, socks, and a light jacket or sweater. I also have plenty of shorts, dresses, and tank tops as 24 degrees Celsius feels pretty warm in February when you're coming from Saskatchewan.
  • Pyjamas. 2-3 pairs is more than enough.
  • Swim Gear. Sometimes your kids (or you) just need a break from the park. My daughter's favourite way to chill out is by the pool. I pack 2 swimsuits and a pair of flip flops for trips to the pool.
  • Sun Protection. A hat and sunglasses are a must for little ones' sensitive skin and eyes.
  • Comfy shoes are a must. We spend over 12 hours in the park each day, so it is definitely comfort first. We packed 2 pairs of runners and 2 pairs of sandals for her.



                                          
                         These girls' Etnies Scout shoes are the softest, lightest shoes EVER
  • Buy Disney themed clothing ahead of time. It is way cheaper to buy at Target, Wal-Mart, Old Navy etc than it is to buy at the Disney Store.
  • A rain poncho. It's much cheaper to get at Dollarama ahead of time than it is to buy one in the park. These might come in handy for Splash Mountain or Kali River Rapids!
  • Etsy is a gold-mine for unique pieces. Sophie has 6 handmade Disney bows, 3 bubblegum necklaces, and that to-die-for mermaid outfit -- all purchased from Etsy shops.



    Okay, the fun stuff is over. Now it's time for the nitty-gritty.


    Medication:
    The first time we went to Disney World, I forgot to pack Sophie's puffers. We were already in Regina and were due to take off in hours. Her asthma was a lot worse then than it is now, and a flare-up could put her out for days. Luckily, a family friend of ours is a doctor and was able to call a pharmacy with her prescription for us to pick up before we headed to the airport.

    I also forgot to throw some band-aids in the backpack. They were in the hotel which did me very little good. Seriously, WTF?
                                             
    I learned my lesson the second Disney trip. These are must-haves:
  • Children's Gravol (for the airplane - or if you decide to take your 4 year old on Space Mountain. Again. What the actual eff was I thinking?)
  • Benadryl
  • Advil/Tylenol
  • Polysporin
  • INHALERS IF YOUR CHILD IS ASTHMATIC (obviously)
  • Benadryl itch-stick for bug bites
  • Band-aids (Disney themed ones are a bonus)
  • Cepacol children's cough candies
  • Bug spray - I like the natural coconut-lime spray from Pharmasave
  • Sun-tan lotion - check your expiry dates!
  • And, of course, a Medi Buddy kit to throw in your backpack or purse. Don't leave it in the hotel room.




Entertainment:

This is mostly for the travel portion of the trip, but there are definitely times in the room, and even in the park, when some of these come in handy.

  • Portable DVD Player, plenty of Disney movies, and headphones. We throw this in the backpack that hubby uses for his carry-on. It has always made flying really easy with her.

This is being released February 2nd, 2016 - perfect timing!

  • A Leap-Pad or iPad. Maybe your kids aren't technology junkies, but mine sort of totally is.
  • Disney themed coloring books, stickers, and activity booklets.
                          
                                We picked up a few of these from Dollarama ahead of time.
  • A couple of stories to read at bedtime. We don't break from our bedtime routine ever. It's important to read together every day - even on holidays!
  • A journal or notebook. Take 10 minutes to write about your day. What a perfect keepsake!

Extras:

These are just a few extras to make your child's experience especially magical!
                                             
                                        Find this and more at momapprovedcostumes.com
  • A princess dress. My daughter has decided on Jasmine, but I really like this light-weight Cinderella Day Dress from Mom Approved Costumes...

  • Character stuffies. My daughter got so much extra attention from characters, cast members, and the performers at parades because of her stuffies. She was even named Pluto's Official Dog Walker thanks to a stuffy!

                                   
           Here Sophie is walking hand-in-hand with Pluto all the way down Buena Vista Street!
  • Pins and Lanyards. If your child is collector, make sure to bring along your pins to trade with Cast Members! Sophie is really into collecting, but has yet to make a trade.
  • Autograph Book and Sharpie. We like to have this ahead of time so we are ready for any impromptu meet and greets with characters. I've made mine in the past, but this year we ordered ahead of time from the Disney Store. Time is money!

Essentials:
Of course I would forget to add this! They are obvious...and necessary!
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Hairbrush, clips, ponytails
  • Shampoo and Conditioner from home
  • Snacks for the airport, plane, and hotel room - think goldfish, nutrigrain, snap pea crisps, and dried fruit
Well... I think that about wraps it up! Hope this helps!
What are your packing list must-haves? Let me know in the comments!
                                                                                                                          xo Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment